Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Digging in the dirt, lessons from my dad.


Spring has always been a time for change, although for me, this particular spring has been tumultuous.   My heart mourns the passing of my dear father, or as Kazuo and Eiji refer to him, “Papa”, who passed away in early May, at his home, peacefully.  I do miss him dearly. As many have comforted me with their kind thoughts and sympathy, one piece of advice that seems to stand out is this:  “Remember all the wonderful memories with your father.”

Meanwhile, here at Kodomo No Ie preschool, this spring has brought a magnificent change in the appearance of the playground.  Everyone seems to love the new play surfaces and overall appearance, myself included.  However,  many of us deeply miss the dirt.  As I think back over the six years of being a parent at Kodomo No Ie, perhaps more than any other physical feature, this was a wonderful place to dig in the dirt.   I do miss the dirt too.

Do not underestimate the importance of dirt.  Digging in the dirt – unstructured play, reaching hands into the earth and shaping it, adding water, building tunnels or making mudpies, this is the foundation of all learning.  That’s right: I believe that digging in the dirt is the foundation of all learning.  The worlds that have been created by children digging and playing in the dirt are the starships of language, social interaction and story-telling. These worlds have more meaning and have more lasting impact, than any book lesson.  In fact, these connections are second only to the physical bond between mother and child, and I think that makes sense, for these are the bonds to our Mother Earth.

Children instinctively are drawn to playing in the dirt, and I was no different as a child.  My dad certainly encouraged it, and for that I am thankful. He was a modest man who was grounded in the earth, and loved music and science.  And growing up, I spent hours playing in the dirt with my siblings. We travelled to imaginary places and invented characters and situations, while making tunnels, volcanoes, and other creations that now inhabit the forgotten recesses of my mind.  As I got older, playing in the dirt evolved into gardening.  Our family had an enormous garden and we raised a cornucopia of fruits and vegetables, as well as many fond memories. Through gardening, our relationship with the dirt deepened, and our love for the earth grew. We became connected with the seasons.  It became our nature to care for the soil, delight in the earthworms, feel the texture, absorb the colors, and embrace the smells.  Plant seeds, and add water, and experience the joy of life sprouting from the earth, culminating eventually in food that we used to nourish ourselves. My dad was there, every step of the way, teaching us about the earth, but also teaching us about life itself.

And now as I dwell on the lessons of my father, I am drawn back to the earth, and living things and the cycles of life. And I am finding solace once again, in dirt.  



(Originally contributed to June 2010 Mamas and Papas for Kodomo No Ie Preschool)

No comments:

Post a Comment